Monday

Rethinking the Sandwich

The sandwich is a staple in American food culture. I wonder if that has something to do with America's current obesity epidemic.

Cold cuts, subs, packed lunches, burgers, and most fast food is basically a sandwich. A sandwich is bread with protein, veggies, and sometimes cheese and/or sauce in between. After reading Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes and learning more about food and nutrition I am beginning to rethink the sandwich.

This isn't as easy as it sounds. I love carbs and I eat a sandwich EVERYDAY! The people at work can even tell if I make it or if Meg makes it because she is sweet enough to cut it for me. So after debating living with or without the daily "wich" I decided to collect some data.

I began to find that after lunch I was feeling quite lethargic. I thought it was because I was exhausted and ready for a nap, but then I thought what if it was something I was eating. I decided to do a little test with my sandwich. My two-bread sandwich was replaced with a one-slice and giant lettuce topper. (Jimmy John's Unwich helped inspire my idea.) My new sandwich is whole-grain bread, turkey, veggies, and romaine lettuce leaf as the "top bun". So far I have not been as tired following lunch and have enjoyed it just as much as the original sandwich.

I think little changes like this are what truly make the difference. Is extreme than answer? No sandwich, EVER... No. On the flip side if I see a change that will benefit me I should make it. Look for small, but beneficial healthy changes in your life as well. Sandwich or not you could rethink something.


Share in the comments section what your rethinking to make more healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment